msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Requirements for horse rider team

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Requirements for horse rider team
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:00:21 -0600

I don't know if this is true in the OP's case, but I have seen some
MSAR teams use a a more or less standard AQHA arena "trail class"
setup for its horse and rider certification. This has the effect of
selecting for people who like competing in this sort of class, and
turns off those who don't see how it relates to MSAR.

Make the assessment relevant to what you commonly do in the field.
Put on, take off rain gear. Send and receive calls on radio and/or
cell phone. Take notes (while the rider is on the obstacle course,
call them and give them their mission number or other information).
Open a map. Ride into and out of a confined space. Etc.

If your assessment is relevant, then candidates who object that it
seems irrelevant can be shown how it is relevant. That is a small
piece of training. If they still maintain it is irrelevant, then
maybe they should be thanked and sent on their way.

What I am saying is there may be inadequate communicating of the
purpose of requirements. However, often the requirements are not
to the point. Now, maybe your unit needs or wants to select for
people who do what they are told. Then a rather abstract skills
test like a true sidepass (where the horse crosses its legs) or a
show-quality turn on the forehand may be just the ticket. Or not.
It depends on the population of riders your candidates are drawn
from.