msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Transport via horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Transport via horse
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 01:35:13 -0700

Give someone the choice of "we can get you out in 4 hours / before dark in
the saddle, or the litter carry team can be here to start a carry-out in the
morning" and the person may well choose the saddle. However, some non-riders
simply aren't good candidates for transporting in the saddle ... which is
part of the training.

But keep in perspective it might be a rider you're transporting - perhaps a
member of your own team or group of trail / backcountry riders. This method
is very useful for rider self-help and a lot less complicated when the
person being transported is already comfortable in the saddle. ;-)

Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR
www.ceoates.com/msar