msar-riders - [MSAR] Fw: Equine Piroplasmosis

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Fw: Equine Piroplasmosis
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:55:27 -0700 (PDT)

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: donna lewis <lewis.equine@hotmail.com>
To: appiesue@aol.com; Barb Roberts <barbs062770@comcast.net>; Beth Stoker <stokerbeth@hotmail.com>; Bruce/Peggy Kelly <klygln@wwdb.org>; Dana Snyder <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>; Don Cantrell <killcreekarena@yahoo.com>; tbcrown3@embarqmail.com; Vicki Cotsworth <cotswoldfarm@hotmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 11:44:13 PM
Subject: FW: Equine Piroplasmosis

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 04:29:58 -0700
From: swmillerkc@sbcglobal.net
To: lewis.equine@hotmail.com

--- On Sun, 6/21/09, Cathie Kornacki <mscatk@hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Cathie Kornacki <mscatk@hotmail.com>
Subject: Equine Piroplasmosis
To: "mark french" <markfrench@wildblue.net>, "Christina Jonas, DC NAPC" <cjonas65@everestkc.net>, "Courtney Bates-Mellor" <horsesinharmony@gmail.com>, "Rich, Kathy, and Ashley Coffee" <rcoffee-kkuttin@att.net>, "Cindy Kimber" <kimber_ck@yahoo.com>, "Jim Beisel" <james.beisel@mcckc.edu>, "Jackie Babcock" <jackiebabcock@ymail.com>, "Joy Poling" <joypoling@embarqmail.com>, "Steve Thomas MVH" <thomas@thomasoralsurgery.com>, "Steve Miller" <swmillerkc@sbcglobal.net>, "Bev Evans" <tally-ho@earthlink.net>
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009, 12:52 PM

FYI - info to share

Sorry, I tried to delete the above addresses to no avail before forwarding this.  Seeing the horses up for auction made me want to share this as these horses could be anywhere.  There is also a racing tradition among some cultures to share the winning horses blood with others for "luck".  I would want bloodwork checked or some veterinary assurance I did not get a horse with a problem(s) like this.  Take care.
Dana in Kansas City

Hey everyone,
Not sure if everyone is aware of the situation at Raytown Equestrian Park.  They are under quarantine for Equine Piroplasmosis which is a blood borne disease typically spread through ticks or dirty needles.  The USA is suppose to be one of only I think 6 or 8 countries in the world that is considered free of this disease…….until now.  There was a small out break last year in Florida but it was contained.  Right now they have euthanized 5 horses at this stable.  But the bad thing is that 2 horses were removed from quarantine………the owners broke in, cut the locks off the stalls and removed them.  Law enforcement is looking for them now.
Here is a link to more information about this disease:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_diseases/piroplasmosis/

Now keep in mind that this is only transferred by blood…through tick bites or sharing of needles between horses.  We are not in danger at Freedom Hill but I wanted everyone in the area to be aware of what is going on.  The best thing to do is to consider using topical sprays to discourage ticks.  In Florida during the outbreak there were no restrictions on traveling in and out of the state the quarantine is specific to the premises where it is found.  Also, for those who board horses be on the look out for 2 Quarter Horses looking for a place to stay.
Deena