msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR starting up in Texas USA

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR starting up in Texas USA
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:41:35 -0500

It depends on your sponsorship. If the sheriff is paying the bills, he gets
to say what you wear. Our practice is to utilize a team logo for our
"brand". We are regional and self supporting. Our field equipment Standard
Operating Guide calls for head protection, proper footwear, clothes for
weather, eye protection, and tack that fits the horse. We don't care if you
ride a roper or a dressage saddle, western or English boots, schooling chaps
or chinks. The idea is that if the rider and horse are comfortable with the
tack and riding clothes they ride safer and can carry out their task better.
We do not even require bits, just control of the horse. It also means that
members do not have to spend money on uniforms. The closest thing to a
uniform we use is a grey sweatshirt with a logo patch over the left badge
position.

State law requires a photo id to claim emergency responder privileges--
Exemption from fuel rationing, operations during emergency road closures,
protection from interference in operations. In PA your horse is a police
animal and we will issue an id for the horse if you want. Federal laws and
regulations are minimally applicable in PA because we are not covered by
OSHA but EPA HAZWOPER and federal road regulations do apply.

Since there are no national certifications or MSAR organizations as yet,
keep your money in your pocket.

Irv Lichtenstein
SE PA SAR