msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Midwest search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@verizon.net
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Midwest search
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:14:38 -0500 (CDT)

Yes to this one- more often than not. Lost Person Behavior is a fascinating and valuable study. Taking into account age, mental capacity, time lost, dementia, altered mental state from dehydration, temperatures, terrain, etc- the subject often does not behave the way a healthy rational person might. Searchers should always keep this in mind when deployed- even though everything in our minds says "no, they couldn't/wouldn't" we need to remember "yes, they might".

Even experienced SAR personnel are subject to lapses in reason when dehydration or other health issues take over- so the general public?  even more so.

Chris

  Has anyone experienced a search where the person managed to get to a place where it was thought to be inaccessible?

Lois Guyon