msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What stinks...and not all snakes rattle!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What stinks...and not all snakes rattle!
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:18:08 -0700 (PDT)

Deb,

Aahh, now I remember why we did not build a barn here and only put up a three sided run in!!  My guys and gals will stand out in the pounding rain, hail, wind, thunder and lightning, never bat an eye about the storm, but try to get them into the steel topped structure with all that racket.. they sooner be wet and get a rain massage than get a headache!

Rattlesnakes hmmm?  So far we have had cornsnakes, a pile of bull snakes, worm snakes, garters, fox snakes, one boa constrictor, but thus far no poisonous variety however it is timberrattler snake country though and in a decade, have yet to hear  or see one.  The fox snake thinks it is a rattler and many snakes wil rattle in selfdefense to a make them seem a danger to you, but is supposedly harmless.  How about some enlightenment for that poisonous bite on a ride and what to do in case of an emergency...for either a person or a horse here on the forum?.  Many of us go out of our home areas to go on searches and it is great to know about the area they might head too and what potential dangers can be lurking be it terrain or wildlife.  Anyone out there with some advise?  One think I can think of taking for that dreaded emergency is an extra pair of underware.. they can sure startle the  a-hem..  out of ya in a hurry!  But seriously, what should we do?

Yeah, a boa...some one had turned it to the wilds here to the bog thinking it would be comfy cozy.  Poor thing...would not make a winter in Illinois being the tropical beast it was, but unfortuneately it had a miserable ending when it got hit with the eight foot mower when it lurked in the deep grass in our pasture..  What we could ID of what was left of his carcass, he was about 7 feet long, as big around as my husbands arm and yellow with spots in color.. definetly not a native but could hug a small dog to death.. people forget they get big and then get themselves in trouble and snakes are really hard to find a home for on many occassion.

Stay safe!

K. Nesbitt
Iroquois County - Illinois
VMSAR