msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] cougar sightings

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] cougar sightings
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:06:34 -0600

David Leadbetter wrote:
> I for one have become very good at staying with the sideways jump

Ah yes, the teleport.

I won't say I can stay on board no matter what, but where I learned
to stick more often than not was riding polo ponies in beginning
polo lessons. The ponies were old pros, and would gallup around in
a pack, switching direction appropriately and seemingly very fast,
while we novices hung on. I hung upside down on my mounts' shoulder
more than once. It is next to a wild ride, but the ground is soft
and clear of obstacles, and the horse isn't out of its mind and most
will stop very courteously when you come unstuck. In fact, a good
instructor will use a standard call or whistle whenever there is
trouble, and all the lesson horses will have learned the call means
watch out, and they all slow down.