msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Coyotes, or are they really? And what stinks...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <lhanahan@mindspring.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Coyotes, or are they really? And what stinks...
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:47:12 -0400

It is never a good idea to step down.  Once you are separated from your mount you are a person to the bear, and a horse, both of which it can take down.

Assuming the bear is defending territory, not hunting you, staying aboard and exiting the area rapidly is the best course.  Your horse may be able to outlast the running bear but speed may not be enough if he really wants you, or what he smells in your saddle bags.  Depending on your horse, getting off may be a bad signal as well, and you may have to walk back through bear country.

Irv Lichtenstein