msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Member

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Member
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:47:13 -0600

Hello D'Arcy,

I am flattered (and I imagine everyone else on MSAR-Riders too) that
you feel honored to have been allowed to join us. However, I think
it is only fair to mention that anyone can join. No administrator
approval is involved; the subscriber confirms via e-mail to ensure
that the e-mail address is valid and belongs to someone who in fact
wishes to join. And, for what it's worth, no subscriber has ever
been banned from MSAR-Riders since its beginning, way back in 2002.

Where in the world are you? Are you part of a SAR team, looking to
join a team, or looking to start a team?

I know of the endurance community online, but I don't belong to it.
Too much else to do. I also don't participate in endurance rides,
except as a safety rider. I have been very involved in running a
50-mile human foot race (an "ultramarathon") on trails that would be
ideal for an endurance ride except there is no water and very few
points where water can be hauled in to the trails. I am even more
involved in running orienteering meets; my largest to date had
about 80 competitors. I think a lot about safety and have even
begun pre-planning for SAR type emergencies. By that, I mean make
plans for likely scenarios at *each* location where a meet is held.
Scenarios such as "competitor goes out on trail, does not return,
location unknown". That's profoundly different from the scenario
"competitor hurt on trail, needs transport".

Is this kind of discussion what you had in mind?

Regards,