msar-riders - [MSAR] Illinois has a sepcial law regarding Horse Liability

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Susan J. Duke" <susanjduke@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Illinois has a sepcial law regarding Horse Liability
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:54:13 -0700 (PDT)

The Illinois Equine Activity Liability Act (745 ILCS 47/1 et seq.) [hereinafter the "Act"] became effective on July 7, 1995. The Historical and Statutory Notes to the Act state that it is "an Act to limit the civil liability of persons participating in equine activities..."

Read up on it here http://www.saddleshop.com/sentinel/equine_liability_act.htm#I.%20Introduction

We do not use separate group insurance, we cite the IELA for the riders risk and then use the traditional forms (government workmans comp kind, and personal Umbrella Liability that each person has on their own if necessary.)  My horse and equipment is covered on my homeowners, my trailer on my auto insurance.  My personal Umbrella Liability policy is for anyone trying to sue me for something, costs $19 a month.  I of course cannot do anything stupid, grossly reckless, under the influence, or obviously neglient because it doesn't cover that. It is for the type of lawsuits where the lady says my horse stepped on her special plants and now she want $1m in damages or similar sillyness, or she tripped walking next to my horse trailer and smacked her head on it so now she has brain damage or something and thinks I should pay her for tripping while walking too close to my horse trailer, or my horse caused her allergies to go off and she went to the hospital, or whatever.  Those kind.  The policy says they step in, take care of it, pay all the attorneys and do the whole thing to dismiss the lady and her wild claims.  If she is to be paid something, they do it and arrange it, not me. They use the corporate lawyers they have, I don't have to do anything.

Susan J. Duke
Central Illinois Mounted SAR
(Springfield Illinois area)
217-622-0622