msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horse injuries during a MSAR mission

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horse injuries during a MSAR mission
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 21:12:37 -0600

Ron Vasser wrote:
>I would like to know if there is any possibilities of coverage for your
>horse if it is injured or causes injuries to another person or causes
>property damage during a MSAR mission.

There are many possibilities. The specifics depend on the jurisdiction
in which you respond and the kind of organization in which you respond,
among other factors.

As Irv has described, his unit has purchased primary liability insurance
for its members and their horses, covering damages BY their horses. Irv
has purchased personal primary insurance, covering damages TO his horse.
Primary means that a given insurance policy applies before any other
insurance; primary applies only if you have other insurance that would
apply.

Here in New Mexico, SAR is a volunteer function reporting to the state
police. This provides MSAR volunteers with a variety of protections
that are in effect while responding to SAR missions and sanctioned SAR
trainings. Nationwide in the US, federal Good Samaritan statues also
protect MSAR volunteers. In most US states, state equine liability
laws and police horse protection laws also protect MSAR volunteers and
their horses, to an extent.

I don't know of any MSAR responders who are required to sign waivers as
a condition of their services being accepted, nor have I come across
anything like that, in reading many MSAR units membership applications.

Hope this helps,