msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Insurance

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Insurance
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:00:16 -0500

Agreed value is just that—a value in dollars you and the insurance company agree on as opposed to market value (which is usually auction value).  For a pleasure horse the vet’s assessment or the statement of an assessor is used, for a race horse it is earnings.  I currently pay the minimum premium, approximately $300 per year. If he was insured for more the percentage would drop until it was about 2% of value.  The primary horse liability policy, $500,000 per instance is about $150 per year, the next million is $41 per year through the state equine council.  Since the SAR is a 501(c)(3) costs associated with membership and responses are deductible.     The medical insurance for the horse will not pay for the same service more than once in 2 years.  Example: a wire cut requiring veterinary services for repair will, when reported, mean that another injury in the same area will not be covered for the next insurance year.  And it is a surgical policy, no shots or routine care is covered.

VFIS insures all our gear at replacement cost if it is stolen or destroyed by accident, but not for disappearance.  They also provide $1,000,000 in public liability, officers and directors coverage, a treasurer’s bond, secondary vehicle liability (they cover the organization if a member has an accident on official business), official acts (command decisions), and some other things.  They will also pay up to $50,000 if we break or damage something we borrowed for a job, like a Gator or a rental truck.  This costs us approximately $900 per year.  We are hoping to add an accidental death and disability policy but it is around $1400 per year and will grow with medical costs and member count.

Workman’s comp is required by law in PA but emergency volunteers in fire, EMS, and rescue are defined as government employees and the local township (county for HazMat and EMA volunteers participating in a county program) must cover.  Many of the townships in this area are members of the Delaware Valley Insurance Trust, a self insurance plan. Most county and state agencies self insure. Pennsylvania also has basic adult health insurance programs available for around $300 per month, reducing to free based on family income, and CHiPs for all kids.

The public safety officer death benefit also applies to our members, $266,000 federal and $156,000 Pennsylvania lump sum payment plus Pennsylvania guarantees a four year college education to all surviving children if there is a line of duty death, whether by trauma or by heart attack within 24 hours of going off duty.

Yes, you can grow insurance poor.  My horse is probably also covered by the barn’s care and custody and their workman’s comp should he do something untoward or run loose.  Being a self employed consultant I carry horse insurance because I cannot afford the loss of any assets. What is really amazing is that bicyclists do not have to carry liability insurance, even though they are operating a vehicle under Pennsylvania law.

Irv Lichtenstein

SE PA SAR