msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Maps and coordinates

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Kinch <kinch@shaw.ca>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Maps and coordinates
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:34:04 -0800

In our group we use several different types of maps. Everything from Federal Government topo / Military Grid maps to lumber company logging road maps and hand drawn sketches. A couple of years ago, we purchased the program "Ozi Explorer" and it is great program for SAR use. You can upload / download from a GPS or computer with a click of the mouse, zoom in on the map loaded, create routes & tracks, etc. It not only accepts the government topo maps, private company maps (Backroad Mapbook) but you can also load your own using a scanner. With this program, we purchased all the federal government maps of Vancouver Island in electronic format and then print out the area of the map that we need at whatever scale we require complete with countour lines Grid Lines, etc. We normally print these out on normal 8 1/2 x 11 paper but this is dependant on your printer. That size is great for using while mounted. Fits easily in a zip lock baggie for water proofing, then in your horn bag or shirt pocket, etc. In our Mobile Command Post we use 2 laptops and have the printers there to print out the maps as required for the Search Teams. Normally, the only 2 datums we use is NAD 27 or NAD 83 and this depends on the maps used. Another good thing about the Ozi Explorer program is that you can switch datums back and forth and have the program convert them all to whichever you wish. We use GPS quite a bit but all are trained not to rely on it and pracise doing it the old fashioned way.

Joe Kinch
Vancouver Island

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>