msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] TLAER as a MSAR Function

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] TLAER as a MSAR Function
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:54:58 -0500

Double decks are illegal for slaughter haulers by Federal regulation. There are no regulations concerning non-slaughter horse hauling except in PA, NY, MD where commercial loads started in those states may not be double decked.  The other factors involved appear to be a top heavy load and probably an over load—59,000 pounds of Belgians don’t fit in a semi and still keep it under 80,000 gross over the road in most cases.

FEMA disaster plans require each locality’s plan to have a pet and livestock evacuation and shelter provision.  There is no federal requirement for large animal rescue or TLAER type training or organization at the local level except in support of evacuation.  The CART/LART organizations in many counties are a response by the state department of agriculture to the federal disaster requirement.  It should be recognized that in most jurisdictions responders organized by the Ag Department are not recognized by the public safety services and receive little or no support from fire and EMS.  Depending on the county the CART may not even legally exist as enrolled emergency responders which would require the county to insure them.

As responsible horse people the MSAR in SE PA included TLAER and disaster relocation as part of their mission.  There is more exposure hauling to training and missions compared to most recreational riders and we have certain advantages—county level dispatch, recognition as emergency responders, and some infrastructure of our own (radios, members’ 4x4 vehicles, horse trailers) to supplement the first on scene personnel.  We have also sent about half of our field force to TLAER training at the vet school, unlike other organizations.  We also will send advisors to work with the local fire/EMS personnel for farm and barn accidents. We are not the fire department and not first due, but we can help.  We also carry our own liability and equipment insurance with comp being provided by statute.

Irv Lichtenstein