msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Lake County Illinois in the news

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Lake County Illinois in the news
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:09:11 -0700 (PDT)

I am interested that the Mounted Posse was called for the 59 draft yearlings in the overturned truck in Lake County, IL.

In LaSalle County, IL we have an animal rescue team separate from the MSAR group.  While the two groups share some of the same members, each is under separate authority.  The animal rescue people work at the direction of the county veterinarian and the MSAR people are under the Sheriff's office.  I thought all counties were mandated to have an animal rescue plan in place and wonder if the Mounted Posse is a formal part of that plan in Lake County.

I am also interested to know why 59 horses were being hauled by a driver from ND to MN according to the newspaper story.  I wonder if they were headed to Canada for slaughter.  Now that slaughter is no longer done in Illinois, the sale barn people tell me that they are selling yearlings for $35. if they can sell them at all.  This has resulted in horses being transported long distances to Canada and Mexico for slaughter.  In any event, it is good that the Mounted Posse people were available to help.  It is an example of how those of us trained in MSAR can expand our usefulness.

I hope the press follows up on this story as more details become available.

Lois