msar-riders - [MSAR] E.I. down under

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul" <sbred@bigpond.com>
  • To: <MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] E.I. down under
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:07:39 -0700

It’s a bugger when you delete something you want to refer to.  Anyway, a person (Andrew I think) posted here about E.I. in Australia and how things may have to be done different down here.  The way it was worded, I got the impression that it was not confirmed here, or there was some doubt so I thought Id set the record straight.

E.I. is definitely here down under.  Recorded cases in the eastern states only.  Nothing recorded in South Australia where I am and nothing to the best of my knowledge in Western Australia or Northern Territory.

Having said that though, movement of 10 horses or more requires a permit from Primary Industries (The folk who govern quarantine amongst other things)

All pony club meetings have been put on hold until the end of this month at least

Trainers of race horses are required to make a declaration for each meeting they attend and travel on permit for their horses + stable hand.

When it first came out, no horse could be taken off the property they were on.

If a suspected case is located in South Aust, it would be a lock down situation apparently.  Even though the risk is low is S.A. as no horse is allowed into the state at this stage, a few of my mounted search team have refused to attend callouts with horses due to the chance of EI, so right now we are pretty well buggered. This comes at a bad time since we are already struggling to keep numbers up tot keep the team alive.

It seems to me to be overkill and panic.  I have heard part of the reason is folk are running scared from litigation.  If there is a lock down, then who ever is responsible for the event may be held financially accountable for feeding horses quarantined at that location.

Paul Kearney
Kapunda SES Mounted Team

www.freewebs.com/kapundasesmounted

A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble companion walks beside you.