msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Response on Civil Air Patrol and (horse) mounted search and rescue

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Response on Civil Air Patrol and (horse) mounted search and rescue
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:34:24 -0500

When the PA Wing joined the PA state council there had to be an MOU executed/amended between the Wing and the state EMA to change the request chain. The CAP is a federal level resource and therefore the requests had to be bucked up the chain fairly high to get assistance on an ongoing case that did not involve a missing aircraft or an ELT which was legally their original jurisdiction. This was because the IC would request added resources directly at the county level rather than at the state level.

We also found that while cadets did ground SAR they would not be dispatched for suicides, or known body recoveries. I hear that aircraft availability has improved but we are in an area that has so many police, aeromedical, and even military aircraft available, as well as satellite imagery that we rarely can’t get a properly equipped search aircraft faster than we can an answer back for a request. This is unusual and is probably just geography. [There are 5 aeromedical, 2 FLIR equipped city police, the PA, NJ, DE, and even MD State Police units, an Army Reserve Helicopter Battalion, Navy and Marine reserve HS and HL  units (although they are going away), and the USCG HH65’s at Cape May, NJ, and HH60’s at Roosevelt Field].  There are full time active Air Force bases at Dover, DE and McQuire in NJ as well.

As with any resource that belongs to somebody else you must seek out the command and control structure and reach an agreement as to how you talk to each other.

Airplanes use civilian air traffic control VHF (120-150 MHZ USB) and the CAP also used converted 2M FM gear, none of which is common to public safety agencies except in their aircraft.   Dispatch and response agreements, who is in charge agreements must also be worked out.

Irv Lichtenstein