msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Civil Air Patrol and (horse) mounted search and rescue

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Civil Air Patrol and (horse) mounted search and rescue
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:22:54 -0700 (PDT)

Una, thanks so much for the mention.  I have much support from not only my commander, but the local Johnson County emergency manager and parks and recreation departments.  CAP can offer assistance for anything from ground team, air search or MSAR and can be requested by the emergency manager or law enforcement.  Call CAP National Operations Center @1-888-211-1812 or the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center @ 1-800-851-3051 for the nearest CAP squadron with the requested capabilities.  CAP is staffed by volunteers, but there is a reasonable fee for fuel that would be determined to be covered by Federal or State funds on a mission.

All of our training (NIMS, Emergency Services, First Aid, Critical Incident Stress, to name a few) is basically free and provided through CAP.  Our annual membership fee covers most training and insurance through the Air Force.

Also, you should list Al Hale of the Jackson County Sherriff's Posse.  They are in based in the Lees Summit area and have invited us to ride with them.  I attended some radio training and need to get a trailer to join them.  Do you have Al's email: santafearabians, I believe?  1st Lt. Dana Snyder RN, CAP, New Century Composite Squadron, Gardner, KS

MSAR <msar@ibiblio.org> wrote:
Dear MSAR-Riders,

I received a query off list about MSAR in the US Civil Air Patrol. In
reply, I wrote the following summary. It may be of use to others here.

Una

In South Dakota, the CAP Philip Composite Squadron has a mounted patrol
and their website is up today: http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/philip/ .

Edward M. Vazquez EVazquez@elcbalt.uscg.mil formed a CAP MSAR in Maryland
under Bowie Composite Squadron.

An old CAP newsletter mentions another CAP MSAR forming in Maryland. Ed,
or Tomi Finkle TFinkle@erols.com with TROTSAR, may know the status of that.

Jim Green muleequestrian@yahoo.com started one in North Carolina a few
years ago, but I think it collapsed. Jim has since moved to Maine.

The one in Oklahoma City got written up in a CAP magazine, but it too
collapsed. A founding leader was Mike Dillard veritas.md@sbcglobal.net.

Dana Snyder is trying to organize a CAP MSAR
unit in Kansas.

Norma Newton newtonrn@huxcomm.net is trying to organize a CAP MSAR unit
in Iowa.

Members of a CAP squadron in Sheridan Wyoming have some interest in an
MSAR wing.