msar-riders - [MSAR] Tunnel vision

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Tunnel vision
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 05:33:51 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 12
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:45:49 -0700
From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Six or 8 inches...crumpled...sounds like a
lifesaver to me.
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

Karen, I can't change your mind and continuing to debate on this list
is
futile. Your opinions are strong and not always based on reason and
fact. I hope that you will do well with an MSAR group when you find
one.

Chris Pennington
----------------------------
--->>>  Chris, you are right, you will not change my mind as you are missing the point of my discussion regarding NECK along with  head protection.   While I agree that a helmet can and in some cases does save a head from a concussion, you fail to pick up on the rest of the discussion involving the other key word involving ones NECK.  While a concussion can have its affects, so too can neck injuries and both can cause death or long term consequences. You have failed to bring forth arguement on neck protection.  What little you see in a brim is more that what is there without one.  I wil still take a brim as a bumper.

As for my looking for a group to ride in, we have one, so we are not searching for one, however, I am shortly heading to retire.  My lifelong horse is 27 years old and I beleive she deserves her well earned gratification of being out to pasture.  She is doing well, but no longer holds the physical condition I require in a mount for any type of trail riding.  She has been a hell of a horse and to that I am most grateful

As for facts, I find when surveys, census and statistics are taken, much is always not fully disclosed and in many cases many groups of study are overlooked in the overall picture so the facts are not always in balance with the full population.  In otherwords, we do not all bounce the same.  AS IRV mentioned, people do stupid things with smart horses and the insurance companies, and if I may add, the lawyers all have their field days with this kind of stuff and people using the wrong equipment that they may think is for the right reasons.

Case in point.. read the label that comes with your helmet.

As for my bringing in my portion of the debate to this site, it appears some of us  here are tooo focused on one area of the body to be concerned on the rest and well, I kind of like to see everyone think of the whole package.  Your tunnel vision on head protection leaves little
to be desired in balance with the rest of  the discussion and the  rest of the points.  I hope you will broaden your field of vision as it could help also in saving ones life.

I pray and hope that if there are manufacturers. lawyers, doctors and whomever out there listening to this debate, that they will strive to further make improvements to their products and to put out a broader base of products to choose from for people with personal needs when it comes to any form of protection gear.

So teammate, though we do not ride in the same area, have you learned where this discussion has headed?  It is called IMPROVEMENTS to gear that already exists.  And Lord knows, many things can always be improved on.  So if that is being a problem, I
for one am looking forward to seeing future solutions and especially when it comes to my neck being out there for you.

Karen Nesbitt
!roqouis County
Illinois

(Yowser... how about that price of gas...it was $3.59  here but that was yesterday...!)

  • [MSAR] Tunnel vision, Karen Nesbitt, 05/16/2007