msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Mustang Blue <mustang_blue_wy@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] helmets
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:25:02 -0700 (PDT)

You should also check out these websites:
http://www.thelongridersguild.com/Glasscock-2.htm

&

http://www.geneglasscock.org/

Not sure what other states have, but I get all my helmets fron the Brain Injury Association of WY at a VERY reasobale price! ($15 for a $75 Troxel Equestrian helmet)

That being said, please allow me to share a stroy with you all.
A friend of mine sowre she'd never wear a helmet, but in order to go on a particular trailride, it was required so she did get and wear one.  Her horse was very well behaved as were all the horses on the ride.....no falls, no bucking.....BUT, it was in a treed area, and call it what you will, but just as she rode under a large branch, it fell, hitting her helmet and breaking it in two! She walked away with only a few scratches.

In FL, another friend was riding with the above mentioned Gene Glasscock to the state capitol.....it was a last minute decision after being invited to go as she was Gene's host family there...she didn't her horse or saddle at that time, so Gene let her ride his pack horse, Tossy, bareback....Gwilda wasn't a bareback rider....trotting, Tossy turned one way and Gwilda kinda rolled off the other way onto the pavement..or as she put it "went kersplat"..again, a broken helmet, but absolutely no injuries to Gwilda! She landed on her helmeted head. Yes, knowing how to fall would've helped, but there is no question to how much the helmet saved her.
Lona
This is not MSAR, however, if you want to see what a real cowboy wears and packs,
visit this website!  It is a bout a fellow riding around the world on horseback.  Now I don't see any helmet in his pack, but I bet he could tell us a few things about his expedition!

GO TO:    www.ezrasexpedition.com

Waaaay COOOOL!

Karen Nesbitt
Iroquois County - VMSAR
Illinois

<\_ _~
// \\
Keep the Spirit Alive, Ride a Mustang!
My Photos                           My Space
Lona in WY
(point & click hyperlinks)

Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48518/*http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/;_ylc=X3oDMTE3NWsyMDd2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDY2FyLWZpbmRlcg-- hot CTA = Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool

  • Re: [MSAR] helmets, Mustang Blue, 05/15/2007