msar-riders - [MSAR] Long sleeves...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Long sleeves...
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 16:48:03 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:35:17 -0400
From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Shock Absorber
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

So, do you alway wear long sleeved shirts to protect from the sun?

---> message deleted for space...

NO.  Me personally, I do  not always wear long sleeves even in the sun. I find myself rolling them up quite often when I do and this is cumbersome.

 I do wear what I can work in that is most comfortable.  Even though I want to protect my face particularly my nose  from burning, oddly enough I leave my arms to chance and wearing long sleeves in the strong heat can be cumbersome to ME.  But then we are talking ME.  My arms unlike my nose for some reason rarely if ever will burn...but again, we are talking me.  Someone else might nto be the same way.

I am with IRV though when he says layers of clothes are good to have in all kinds of weather..., however whether it is worn or not, when I work with a horse in any task, it is my comfort and being able to move freely that will be a benefit to my horses comfort and how it performs and how the horse and I function as a team.

I am one of those who point blank are not comfortable wearing a helmet either and so a helmet personally impedes my form in fuctioning freely with my horses.  If you had my
neck, you would understand where I was coming from on this.    I do not wear a helmet PERIOD.  They are something that I am not having luck in getting used to and especially since I have yet to find one that fits and has the neck protection I seek.  I get my comfort from another hat.   I am guessing that this area strongly needs to be one of those custom things simply because not all of us ride the same and are comfortable in doing the "uniform" thing.  And also since I ride strongly at my own risk, my gear is my what I prefer to use and know how to use and stuff that is most efficient to my functioning on horseback for what ever the job is.  I am a small headed adult and do not want something that is fit for a child.

As horsemen, sometimes we need custom gear.  GETTING custom made gear is expensive and difficulty to find.  For me, this has been the case in finding a so called riding helmet that gives me what I seek also from a cowboy hat.  If you want to look into difficulties of who has teh most difficult time in getting custom gear, consider hippotherapy programs.  Riders with handicaps are some of the most interesting riders to get the right gear for and also the most
to fit, so say the least for the most expensive to buy for.  Specialty gear and manufacturers are difficult to find especially for horsemen.

Ok, well, so much on that.

Karen Nesbitt
Iroquois County -VSMAR
Illinois