msar-riders - [MSAR] SACKING

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] SACKING
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:15:19 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:10:36 -0500
From: "Ron & Christine Derksen" <pasturep@mergetel.com>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] (MSAR) Flag Training needed
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
--->>> message scrubbed for space...

For the youngin's amonst us -

"Sacking out" is method of training used on colts prior to ever being saddlebroke.
If your horse is saddle broke, he has already been sacked out.

You can use the sacking out though to 'refresh" the horse and help him accept the flag.

The idea of sacking out has been used for hundreds of years both by NATIVE Indian tribes of this country as well as the old cowboys and the Spaniards that brought horses originally to the Americas.  The main principle of sacking is to gain the horses confidence.

So to should all methods of training as that is what it is about, confidence and trust between
handler and equine.

Flag training as mentioned before also adds an element of "imbalance" and until the horse can accept being in balance with carrying a flag, you will never be able to carry a flag safely or in comfort for both horse and rider.  The other end of this is you will also never know when you our your horse may become unbalanced.

I have seen too many horses go over backwards carrying a flag and sonme is rider error
and even those well trained can stumble or slip and this is the cautions one needs to be aware of.  When you add the elemnts of ATV's, Shrienners Circus clowns and your rodeo cowboys loose with the sirens and the big trucks, you got some work ahead of you before you get there.   Most parade horses are seasoned horses who have been exposed to many elements and never underestimate the dangers even with a well trained horse.  Parades have a tendency to get rained and snowed on, pavements get slick and you have a new ballgame before you realize it.  And hot pavements get greasy too.

In our barn we do not tolerate the use of harsh methods, we trainpatience, tolerance and praise.  We also do not put young stock in jobs they are neither physically or mentally mature enough to handle and we do not put riders on horses they do not belong on either.  Lastly we do not let just anyone ride, just because they say they have experience.  They may have a world of experience and a bunch of cowboy tales to tell, but they are not experienced in handling just any horse.  We also train to the individual rider in the idea that not all riders are equal, and no two horses are alike. Key point in training is BALANCE.

I was taught the old school, if you know how to take a fall and do it safe and well, you will ride again.  If not, your riding days are limited.  The longer I ride and the older I get, I find age and old bones has a way of taking a turn in training if you persist in riding.  Becoming familiar with those with disabilities that ride has become a new yet old passion.  It can teach you many things.

May you always ride in balance with your horse.

As said before, God Bless America, and GOD BLESS that flag be it a rag or OLD GLORY.

Karen Nesbitt
VMSAR
Iroquois County - Illinois

The fish are biting.

  • [MSAR] SACKING, Karen Nesbitt, 03/12/2007