msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR in Iowa

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR in Iowa
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:30:51 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone know who the state agency responsible for SAR in Kansas is?  To my knowledge, the only SAR units are in Topeka and a sherriff's posse in Salina.  The Topeka unit has a canine division, but not MSAR.  They have encouraged me to visit and see how they train on weekends..
The next nearest working unit to Kansas City is the Jackson County Sherriff's Posse in Missouri and they have offered to help train a new group if it can get established.  The KCMO Police Department has a mounted patrol, but I do not know if they also do SAR.  Thank you.  Dana Snyder

Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:
Norma Newton wrote:
>SAR is definitely on the radar in Iowa!

Of course it is!

My comment was: "SAR certification does not appear to be on
the radar in Iowa". By that, I meant qualifications recognized
state-wide. Some states recognize NASAR's tests; some states
recognize their own. In Iowa, there appears to be as yet no
state agency responsible for SAR, nor a state association of
SAR teams, to take on the role of deciding what to recognize.