msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NAIS (OT)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NAIS (OT)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:11:06 -0800

A friend of mine who works state level Ag in a southwestern state works with NAIS regularly. It is his perception that the key issue is related to health safety for consumption of livestock, and the program is intended to address swine, sheep, cattle, etc., for mad cow disease, etc. Horses are viewed by the federal level more as "not for consumption", and at the national level there is movement to make that change from "livestock" to "companion animal" official. Horses - other than voluntary participation for ID related to theft - are pretty much off the federal radar at this point.

There are issues related to horses being legally considered a companion animal, but this avenue may be a solution related to NAIS and livestock issues.

-Jorene

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pennbo's" <pennbo@verizon.net>
This issue is being discussed in detail on another horse list. If anyone
is interested I can relay some of the comments from a few people who in
deeply into what it will mean to the equine world. In short I can say
that I do NOT like what I am reading/hearing and it scares me to death
that they will actually implement it statewide. At this point it appears
to be up to each state to choose participation or not, of course the
strings are there- if you say no some funding may disappear.

Chris Pennington