msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NAIS (OT)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NAIS (OT)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:41:46 -0500

It took me awhile to go through all the documents and I'm still unsure whether I would want to participate in the program.  I did find one section that may let horse owners of the hook in reporting movement.  I found this in the November 2006 DRAFT user guide from the USDA web site.  Under the section "The Goals of Tracking Animal Movements" the section reads as follows:

"For example, taking your animal on a trail ride with a neighbor, animals accidentally wandering off a premises, or moving livestock from pasture to pasture within your operation would pose a relatively low risk or impact of spreading disease.  These types of movements are not the focus of the NAIS and, therefore are not reportable animal movement events.  While risk of exposure to a disease and its spread is certainly possible for any movement (including local county fairs, parades, etc.), because these events are more localized, they have less potential impact on the spread of a disease than events where animals travel greater distances.  >From a disease standpoint, it would be unnecessary to report animal movements in such low-risk/impact situations. "

Under the section entitled "Reportable Animal Movements" there is a chart that further defines what should be reported and what does not need to be reported.

Any thoughts on this?

Chuck
KVMSAR
KD8EIL