msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Reflective / Safety gear

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Reflective / Safety gear
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:07:08 -0400

A word of caution about reflective that has too much movement. Numerous case studies have identified that impaired (drunk) drivers will actually steer in the direction of the moving lights (reflective material) reflective legs bands will have a similar effect. Start taking notes about how many police cars on traffic stops get hit by drunk drivers. Emergency vehicles was stopped with lights flashing will draw impaired driver to the lighted movement, just moths to a porch light.

I use leg wraps just above my stirrups and all team members wear a blaze orange safety vest with white 3-M bright lite reflective piping. Being seen is very important, but please watch out for too much movement of reflective material.

Tomi` TROTSAR

Wright wrote:

Because of that, and also because my unit works so much in late
afternoon/evening, I have a lot of reflective gear on my horse. It
includes: reflective leg bands (fore & aft), reflective tail wrap,
reflective strips on the halter-bridle, and a flashing LED light that
can be mounted just about anywhere. I also purchased a couple of halters years ago from a company that I
believe has since gone out of business and I wish I could find somewhere
to get them now. They have reflective and flourescent (GLOWS after a
couple of hours in sunlight) material sewn onto them. I think the
company was called "after dark for horses" or something like that. They
also made breastcollars and lead ropes with the same material and I just
wish I had gotten more of it.
No matter what high-visibility stuff we put on ourselves or our horses,
the fact remains that some drivers can't see a CAR with headlights on so
what can you do but be vigilant and super careful? Susan in AL