msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Green horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: John Neff <neffj@msn.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Green horses
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:47:43 -0400

[Deleted included prior post and HTML duplicate, fixed broken
lines, added In-Reply-To. -Una]

Having been a founding member of PMSAR, and now founding a new unit in E
WA I would have to agree with Paul to a great extent. However over here
on the East side we seem to be attracting more experienced riders. Yes
some of them are riding green horses but we don't seem to have to do the
extensive horse training that we were having to do in the metropolitan
area. It does take time and a large commitment wherever you are, but those
who are near large metropolitan areas seem to have more of an issue with
this. Since most of us don't ride in large groups either on trainings
or searches the issue of ribbons in tails is not really useful. A green
rider on a green horse is a recipe for disaster in any situation, however
the long process of training usually weeds them out fairly rapidly. I
agree that only fully certified horse and rider teams are utilized on
missions, but trainings and mock searches are good for the newest recruit
and their horse, green or not.
Faye
NEWMSAR