msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What standard is-- defacto, dejure, and maybe

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What standard is-- defacto, dejure, and maybe
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:44:00 -0700

From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
The ASTM is a voluntary concensus organization which means that every member
of a standards drafting committee must agree on every word or phrase in the
standard before it goes up one level of voting. The levels usually are task
group, sub-committee, committee, and full organization. There is currently
a task group on MSAR. It has proposed over 9 drafts which have received
essentially the same objection from the same person(s) each time. Once this
issue is resolved the standard proposal will move forward rapidly.

At the November 2005 ASTM meeting in CO we reached a compromise with full support of the F32 committee. A few minor changes were agreed upon in the Mounted Searcher document, which will likely get it passed in the next ballot. (Mounted Searcher addresses the rider's minimum knowledge skills and abilities as a searcher who adds the specialty of searching while mounted.) Then we can move forward with the Horsemanship part of the standard.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
www.ceoates.com/msar