msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Morongo MSAR and Sawtooth fire

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Morongo MSAR and Sawtooth fire
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:27:24 -0400

Susan Churico is a member of SE PA SAR. She lives at the far north end of
the area in Bernville, PA. The team is undergoing preoperational training
and utilizes classroom training facilities provided by the Montgomery County
(PA)Public Safety Training Campus. Approximately 1/3 of the members will be
at New Bolton Center of the University of PA from July 21 through July 24,
2006 for LART training. SE PA SAR is based officially in Montgomery County
(PA) but has members in several surrounding counties. Members include two PA
certified search managers with over 20 years experience and 12 with over 20
years riding experience plus 3 experienced riders who are dismounted at
present. Many members are EMTs, nurses, and instructor qualified by the
State Fire Academy or Dept of Health. One member is a founding member of
ASTM F32, the committee on search and rescue standards.

We are working with the Director of Public Safety of the County to obtain
dispatch services and pagers. We do have use of 10-- 150 MHZ programmable
portables and the ability to request the various mobile command posts in the
area including one owned by Amtrack. The PA, DE, NJ, and MD state police
and the Philadelphia City Police operate air units with FLIR on request.
USCG Air Station Cape May is also in range. There are currently 5
aeromedical helicopters available as well.

The basic concept is to build a lean search group at first utilizing
existing emergency services infrastructure to support operations on behalf
of the requesting government agency. Additionally, our home county has
decided to designate us as the LART and disaster relocation experts to
assist other responders with horse and livestock knowledge that will be
critical to extrication or relocation.

SE PA SAR is a non-profit Pennsylvania corporation, designated tax exempt by
the IRS (501(c)(3)) and the PA Dept of Revenue. We utilize ASTM standards.

SE PA SAR
704 Preston Road
Erdenheim, PA 19038
215-233-3360 voice