msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS and field navigation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: porleslie@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS and field navigation
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 23:46:23 -0400

MSAR-Riders mailing list
I agree that both maps and GPS are valuable tools in MSAR. My concern is
that people are becoming so dependent on GPS that they are not learning the
more basic map and compass techniques much less natural signs such as
position of the sun or stars or lichen on a tree and even new and
inexperienced SAR personnel could easily become victims in the event of
failure of their very delicate and complex GPS equipment

Porter