msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SAR conference

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SAR conference
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:19:47 -0800

I am surprised to learn there was any MSAR training at WASAR 2004,
because the folks who came from out of state to run the POD aka sweep
width experiment at that conference told me there were no horse folks
to be found.

Una,

There were at least four mounted units at WASAR 2004 and one from Canada. Not all brought their horses. As not being able to find anyone that is hard to explain. Most folks have unit signs on the vehicles, unit patches and unit banners in the camping area.

My unit hardly ever takes horses to the SAR Conferences. In the past there has been little horse related training offered that required the students to have a horse. Packing, load management and equine first aid were mostly lecture type classes. If there was valuable training to be had we would probably bring them.

Paul