msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SAR conference

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SAR conference
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:36:00 -0500

[Deleted Cc's and HTML duplicate. -Una]

Mickie (Walla Walla MSAR unit leader) - this is Barbara from the 2006 SAR
Conference committee.

You've expressed a willingness to help with the conference, and we
appreciate that offer. Here's where we are with respect to horses at the
conference.

NWHSAR has 20 to 30 active members who will be providing mounted security,
riding in teams during the conference and at night thru the camping area.
We
did this in 1999 - it was remarked this was the 1st conference without any
security related problems, so mounted patrols got a lot of credit for making
positive contribution to the event.

At this point we expect to have enough riders to meet our patrol obligation.
There's a concern about limited stall space if MSAR attendees from other
counties were to bring horses. We'd like any non-patrolling MSAR personnel
have the freedom to attend classes, meet & greet without the distraction of
having to care for their animals.

I've been looking to get funding to bring out of state MSAR instructor(s) to
the conference. Una, Jorene and Irv L. have made some very worthwhile
suggestions, however our state SAR coordinator is only funding SAR
management
instructors. Our next step is to appeal to corporate sponsors and
businesses
affiliated with an interest in the riding community to help fund an MSAR
track.
Obviously, we have to do this at a gallop!

If we fail to fund travel expenses, we'll need to develop some MSAR courses
using local WA teams. We'd welcome input/assistance from other counties.
Instructors would be able to bring their horse(s) for demonstration
purposes.
I am sure we can make room for a few additional animals.

I am sorry you didn't have a quick response from the committee working to
secure instructors (I am on the vendor committee, so don't have direct
control
of that process). Mounted SAR is a bit of a mystery to many of them, so
they
may not have known how to respond.

Please let me know any thoughts on what might be of interest and value to
the MSAR attendees. Let's keep the lines of communication open. Feel free
contact me at work 425-755-6828 or evenings on my cell 425-985-2715. This
is an opportunity to bring MSAR to a higher profile and to do presentations
improve our members' skills & professionalism.

Thanks for reaching out.
Barbara Sly
VP, Northwest Horseback Search & Rescue
KCSARA