msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] [SAR-L] MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Discussion list for Search and Rescue <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>
  • Cc: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] [SAR-L] MSAR
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:57:12 -0700

Lauri Struve wrote:
>2. We're hearing some (to those of us in MSAR) nasty rumors that someone is
>telling sheriff's dept. to not use mounted searchers on ANY search, as they
>destroy evidence, do damage etc. Has anyone else heard this?

Track down the source and get specifics, so you know exactly
what the problem is. It could be one of these:

1. The source has no idea that trained, experienced mounted
SAR responders exist, and equates mounted with spontaneous
and clueless.

2. The source has a personal smear campaign against someone
who happens to be a mounted SAR responder, and this rumor is
a mere side effect of that.

3. The source is reacting to experience with actual bad apples
(incompetent and/or deliberately destructive) among mounted
SAR responders in your community. The experience could be
years old, or brand new.

4. The source is reflecting experience (or received opinion)
gained elsewhere, and not at all relevant to your community.

...or some other reason. Regardless, you need to know the
real reason, before you can determine how to usefully address
this problem.

And keep in mind that on some level, this rationale is true,
but it applies to *all* SAR resources: dogs, humans on foot,
and driven vehicles all can destroy evidence, do damage, etc.

  • Re: [MSAR] [SAR-L] MSAR, Una Smith, 01/24/2006