msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Grundy County MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • Cc: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Grundy County MSAR
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:18:35 -0500

[Deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

Hi Una,

Thanks for the message below. I am glad you contacted me several weeks
ago. It has been interesting "lurking" on the site! My background varies
from most I am sure, but I do also understand prodical and chain of command
etc! So no "disrepect" or anything of that nature is intended by any
comments. I have just seen it too often with a lot of horsemen where they
are competitive by nature and their egos can override their common sense and
I have very strong feelings about this. And though of course, my riding time
in actual search has been extremely limited, I do have strong opinions that I
gained walking away from the ride I told you about. And as you called me, a
spontaneous volunteer, I have to beleive my emotions over a lost child
compelled me more so to "jump" in and help than anything else and the
experience was both heartwrenching and awesome.

One thing I forgot to mention to mention, regarding ATVs, They can be very
noisy. So that fact alone can hurt a search, especially in a live victim who
might still be able to give calls out to the wilderness. However the roar of
the ATV would hide those calls. Horses on the other hand could possibly
perceive hearing the victim before the rider and alert the rider, thoug not
always. You need to REALLY KNOW YOUR HORSE and that is where I cannot stress
time in the saddle with one animal being very important. Horses on the other
hand can be intimidating to those not familiar with them and the search
victim may have serious problems in being approachable. Just things I have
learned through the years just handling horses, people and kids.

I once had an unusual experience with a black child. He did not know what
a horse was. Here I was at a gas station and had a flat on my trailer and
had to take the beast out while they worked on the trailer and the kid was
watching and he actually thought the horse was a dragon. He was from the
city and never had the pleasure of meeting a horse or person handling one.
It took me a bit to convince him and his friends that the "dragon" was not
going to harm them. Once touching the soft muzzle of the "dragon" the child
was in awe of the animal and I had a hard time telling him I had to load up
and leave as he was hugging his "dragon"! I could imagine the story he
brought home that day! I could not imagine any 13 year old not knowing what
a horse was, yet alone learning this from an innercity kid who had no
knowledge of the country and had never seen yet alone heard of a horse and
yes, in America.! This happened in Chicago.

Well, friend, so much for our off the "record" discussions. As ever, you
may forward my prior comments to post on the MSAR. As the "new" kid coming
aboard, I am prepared to take some razzing, but would expect a worthy
education ahead on both sides! THANKS!

Sincerely,
Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - non-member

PS
It is hard to jump in and offer feedback or comments when those who are in
it supposedly do know more than you and of course, I am always open to
learning.

I read your posts today. Thanks for your comments. I feel some were in
my direction in the course of our off the record convesations. See you
next-time on line! (I sent copy to the addy you gave me below as well as to
you. hopefully this will press and do feel free to draw up my previous
letters off record to post there. Maybe somoene has comments or can benefit
and as we both can agree, that is where it is at, helping each other.)

Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:
Hi Karen,

To post something to MSAR-Riders, simply e-mail it to the list
address: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Hang in there!

Una