msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR in Illinois/Indiana

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR in Illinois/Indiana
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 01:39:13 -0700

Karen Nesbitt wrote:
I have not found much of anything in Illinois
for spontaneous volunteers.

If anyone has any leads please send them on to me.

Karen Nesbitt
spanishequines@yahoo.com

If you're looking for an MSAR team to join, try calling the Sheriff's Department. If they aren't in charge of SAR in that county, they should be able to point you to a different source such as the local emergency manager. When you reach the right contact, ask about the closest known MSAR teams.

I suspect in some areas the mounted spontaneous volunteer during a SAR may not be allowed, primarily due to safety and liability concerns. It isn't likely someone looking to regularly be a mounted spontaneous volunteer would be encouraged. Management would have no idea if you'll become part of the problem instead of part of the solution due to unknown riding skills on an unknown 1000 pound animal. Teams may also not allow non-members to participate in training because their insurance doesn't cover the non-member.

What *is* encouraged is becoming a qualified trained searcher who is also qualified as a mounted searcher on a horse that has been tested and proven reliable. If there is no nearby MSAR team, there may be potential to start a team or join an existing SAR team that has mixed resources.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar