msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Helmets
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:58:37 -0500

I agree that image can play a part. We allow several types of helmets, including a couple of mountain bike type helmets that are designed for similar impact. Most team members white the basic white sport helmet and some even had SAR stickers to theirs.

I can't agree about the cost. If someone can afford all the related costs of horse care ( truck and trailer costs included) then a $30 dollar expense that should last a few years can be purchased by just about anyone. In fact, for teams that have 501 c-3 status, some tack shops will donate a few discontinued helmets to the team.

PS: If the cost of a helmet is truly a problem for anyone and they simply can't afford one, please contact me directly and I will insure that you will have a your own helmet.

Tomi`

Una Smith wrote:
Image is important, but it can play out in funny ways. Here
in New Mexico, as a rule, people who wear equestrian helmets
have moved here from somewhere else. Yet my impression is
that the common ground among all mounted SAR folks would be
a climbing or rescue helmet. Even diehard macho types could
wear one of those without loss of face. That leaves us just
one other barrier: cost.

Una