msar-riders - [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR / horse sense

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <sanielski@earthlink.net>, "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR / horse sense
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:37:34 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "susan anielski" <sanielski@earthlink.net>
[...] Anyway it
seems to me that while air scenting with horses is wonderful to have
recognized - the larger issue is to focus on MSAR becoming an integral part
of SAR. Don't we need to stay "on track" with our focus, training and
recognition of usefullness first? I want to find training that will include
MSAR members so that when anyone that meets me in the field will know that
they can depend on me and my mounted partner to do what's needed the way
that it's needed when it's needed and they can take our presence as serious
and highly dependable. [...]

This is coming. ;)

The lack of consistency in MSAR is a nationwide handicap for those who are serious about MSAR. However, MSAR (and SAR in general) is now moving toward consistency, and the transition is impacted by several factors.

At the federal level, FEMA is producing Typing standards for emergency/disaster response, and have included Typing of several SAR resources. SAR is perceived as good potential cross-training with basic disaster response. NASAR is now associated with Citizen Corps at the natiounal level. So the SAR industry is now on the FEMA radar. There is now an expectation that the SAR community will fall into line with volunteer disaster resources by using ICS, etc. That includes defining some national standards, and having methods for certification.

The direction of the SAR industry is to expect *all* SAR personnel to have basic ground SAR training. (Example, NASAR SARTECH II.) Then add any specialty training (SAR Dog, MSAR, technical rescue, etc.) This creates a common foundation of training for all in SAR, giving the SAR community more consistency and credibility as resources. This will include creating far more credibility in MSAR for those who seek to meet/exceed the pending national standards.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar