msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] horse sense

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "susan anielski" <sanielski@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] horse sense
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:17:57 -0500

Being new to SAR I'm trying to educate myself as well as "catch up" on the
gist of conversations. I must say however, that it's difficult for me to
comprehend that anyone knowing anything about scent and adding to that,
having a working/intimate relationship with animals wouldn't recognize the
scenting abilities that ALL animals have and more importantly use all of
the time. Within our relationships with our animal companions/work mates
they have always offered us the opportunity to listen to their "body
language" in communicating with us - which is what they "see," "hear," and
of course "smell." They know before we do when there's someone or
something around - it's been up to us to read/understand what they're
telling us. Even cows or sheep in a field will and do tell us what's up.
Wildlife experts and astute hunters will read what wildlife tells them in
body language which results from the scenses and one being smell. Sorry if
I don't sound especially excited about what's been under most of our
"noses" for quite some time. It is exciting though to see that those expert
in other fields becoming enlightened. But know that it's not a new
discovery yet it's just been proclaimed as newly discovered? We train all
animals to some degree with scent in everything we do with them. Anyway it
seems to me that while air scenting with horses is wonderful to have
recognized - the larger issue is to focus on MSAR becoming an integral part
of SAR. Don't we need to stay "on track" with our focus, training and
recognition of usefullness first? I want to find training that will include
MSAR members so that when anyone that meets me in the field will know that
they can depend on me and my mounted partner to do what's needed the way
that it's needed when it's needed and they can take our presence as serious
and highly dependable. Thanks for listening.