msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Writing good written test questions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Writing good written test questions
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:07:15 -0700

Personal preference is for horse owners to have solid general knowledge
about horses as published by vets, etc. From that knowledge base people can
determine if their own horse fits within the average. If not, perhaps there
is something they should be concerned about.

In your model for designing questions, someone could claim their horse
drinks 2 gallons per day and have a "correct" answer. Yet if I had a horse
only consuming 2 gal/day I'd be wondering *why* that horse was so low on
water consumption.

If you don't know the norm, then also determine your own horse's "norm", you
have a hard time recognizing a red flag that needs to be addressed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,