msar-riders - [MSAR] Writing good written test questions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Writing good written test questions
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:25:52 -0600

Jorene Downs wrote:

>Written testing hasn't been developed yet, but I suspect it will
>include some basic "stable management-type" questions that a horse
>owner should already have the answers to. For example "How much
>water might a horse drink daily?"

Given that the test will follow a training program, I'd like to
see more directed, substantive questions on the test. Eg here,
"How much water does your primary horse drink daily?" This has
a practical purpose, in that if you need to bring water for your
horse you should have a rough idea how much *that horse* drinks.

Actually...the more I think about it the worse this question is.
Water consumption depends greatly on climate, activity level,
and level of fitness. And apart from level of fitness, it has a
wide range of variation from horse to horse. The problem is not
in the question per se, but in what constitutes a correct or
wrong answer.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico