msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: tracking

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: tracking
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:48:47 -0700

L. S. wrote:
> One thing our LTs and the LE's we work with
>tell us is that the MSAR can do a grid search for evidence and NOT
>destroy evidence or tracks... hoofprints being very different from foot
>prints.

Horse tracks are easily distinguished from human tracks, so
there less risk of confusion (if subjects were not on horses).
However, horses do not know to avoid stepping on tracks or
small objects, so there is more risk of destruction of clues.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico