msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hydration for Mounted

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "BC911" <usark9@warpdriveonline.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hydration for Mounted
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:21:28 -0700

Good points Una.

Usually the reason we are out there in the first place is because of other
people, like hikers, hunters etc., that are unprepared for the elements and
the possibility for the need of water, shelter, warm clothing and food. They
usually have no means of communication other than a cell phone with a dead
battery. Fielding an unprepared SAR team weather a foot or mounted doesn't
make a lot of sense.
The first rule in SAR is "don't become part of the problem" If WE, the
rescuers become lost or injured, the focus turns to us and not the victim
that we are there to help.
Although I am primarily a K-9 handler, I am also a horse woman. I have had
my share of accidents and have been thrown from my horse in remote desert
areas far from help. Fortunately, I was with other people that were there to
help me out that time. We are talking severe injuries. It can happen when
you least expect it.
If I don't carry the necessities on my person, I can get into trouble should
I be separated from my horse. (I ride much of the time alone).
Separation from you mount does not have to be from an accident. It can
happen while resting , having lunch or whatever. I once had a horse that
could travel in hobbles for long distances at warp speed!
Like Una says. Keep some of your absolutes attached to you and the rest on
your horse.
I keep my cell phone, GPS, radio, water and a food bar on me just in case.
The rest of the bulky stuff I can pack on my horse.

Stay safe!

B. Diane Whetsel EMT I
Search Dogs Southwest
NMTF I, CSS