msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: new mounted unit

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: new mounted unit
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:20:30 -0600

Barbara Zabriskie wrote:
>I'm new to your site and I have some questions. We are starting a mounted
>team here in southern NM and do you have a basic guidlines with specific
>discipline needs. Were going to start with a basic PACE guidlines but as far
>as needs do you have any recomentations for our horses? Anything would be
>helpful.

Hi Barbara. The New Mexico PACE/ICS-100 material is a great
place to start (note to MSAR volunteers outside New Mexico:
PACE/ICS-100 pertains to general SAR, but you might find it
useful; see http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/santafe/PACE/).

There are loads of MSAR-specific resources on the web; this
mailing list is one of them. You know already about the two
books on MSAR by Kathy Roberts; see the recommended reading
list on http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/ for other good books.

My unit's horse and rider training standards document is on
our website: http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/santafe/.
TROT SAR in Maryland has even more detailed standards docs;
see http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/ for copies. Many other MSAR
units have their standards on the web too; browse their own
websites via http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/index.html.

Keep up the good work,

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico