msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 2, Issue 4

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Artstone@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 2, Issue 4
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:34:27 EST

from Sandra Miller, Taos MSAR,
What are the "rules" regarding wearing of helmets? Ive heard - "mandatory" to
"suggested". Id appreciate several msars' input. Many of our riders here dont
wear helmets, especially the 'old timers'. Since we are newly forming, I dont
want to discourage riders who have grown up on horseback. thanks
>From Jorene@CEOates.com Mon Mar 17 14:32:31 2003
> What are the "rules" regarding wearing of helmets? Ive heard - "mandatory"
> "suggested". Id appreciate several msars' input. Many of our riders here
dont
> wear helmets, especially the 'old timers'. Since we are newly forming, I
dont
> want to discourage riders who have grown up on horseback. thanks

There is no national standard for MSAR, and no national standard regarding
helmets. If someone tried to impose a helmet rule for MSAR in this county,
likely 99% of the riders would turn in their badge. It just doesn't work to
tell someone who has been safely riding these mountains for decades that
they may fall and hit their head. (I have never had a horse-related injury
worth mentioning in 40+ years since I started riding.) Nor does it work to
send riders in a helmet out in 110+ heat - too hot on the head, you're
asking for heat-related health problems.

I am a proponent of personal decisions regarding helmets, yet agree that in
some disciplines the protective rider gear makes sense. (I buy my
granddaughter helmets as she grows because it is obvious she'll be a rider
who pushes the envelope.) I am also a proponent of thorough desensitization
of the horse, improved rider skill sets, and teaching riders how to fall
safely ... which includes protecting the head. I put the emphasis on
prevention. Reduce the potential for a fall, learn how to handle the horse
correctly, and you reduce the potential for *any* rider injury ... not just
the small percentage of injuries that are head-related.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R

  • [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 2, Issue 4, Artstone, 03/17/2003