msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: ICS and SAR group structure

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: ICS and SAR group structure
  • Date: Thu Feb 6 11:33:00 2003

Jorene Downs <Jorene@ceoates.com> wrote:
>And there is the glitch I see. How can you be sure who will find the missing
>subject, or where? If a team locates the missing person, and that person is
>in a situation requiring immediate extraction, I wouldn't want to be
>standing there saying "I'm calling for the technical rescue team. Hang on
>for a few hours, OK?"

This can happen even if highly competent groundpounders find the subject.
I specified high-angle extraction; that's an extremely technical, high-
risk specialty. In New Mexico, volcanoes are a major tourist attraction.
These include volcanic pipes: deep vertical caves with narrow mouths, so
there are tricky overhangs and highly abrasive rock that can cut a rope
in no time at all. Even a technical rescue team may spend hours getting
someone out.

However, the odds of a New Mexico MSAR group finding the subject in a
volcanic pipe is close to nil, because the IC will send technical rescue
teams into such terrain, saving MSAR groups to do perimeter searches
etc. Our usual tasks are (1) to cover a lot of ground where the chance
of finding the subject(s) is low and (2) to get to high ground where we
can relay radio messages between Incident Base and teams down in canyons
where they cannot hear or be heard by IB.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, New Mexico