msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR at SAR conferences

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR at SAR conferences
  • Date: Thu Feb 6 10:46:05 2003

Pennington-Boggio's <pennbo@bbv.net> (Chris) wrote:
>I noticed that the home site to this list mentions that some SAR
>trainings have MSAR components. Can anyone direct me to specific ones?

Yes, see http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/events.html. These are all
at least rumored to be planning some kind of MSAR training.

>I checked a few of the links and couldn't find references to mounted
>courses anywhere.

Don't despair. Instead, start e-mailing and calling the contact
people and ask them. Show them there is a strong demand, and they
will be much more likely to fill it.

ESCAPE in New Mexico will be on a ranch that runs an enormous summer
cowboy program for Boy Scouts, and horses are more than welcome. We
are in the planning stages now for MSAR-related classroom and field
training, and there will definitely be mock searches and rides across
terrain that will "push the envelope" for most recreational riders.

>I don't know about the rest of you but when I went through SAR
>training mounted got very little respect and took quite a lot of
>ribbing.

Yes, even in a "western" state like New Mexico, this crops up. The
best thing to do about it is to earn your stripes in SAR just like
everyone else does. Are your first aid and CPR certs current? Are
you getting trained in anything new this winter? Have you read any
books on SAR lately? Is anyone in your group trained in ICS beyond
the intro 100 level? Your knowledge of how to make the best use of
MSAR resources could be a big asset at Incident Base.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse