msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] pager call outs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] pager call outs
  • Date: Sat Jan 4 22:58:00 2003

From: "Trails End Farm" <trailsendfarm@erols.com>
> I need to change the text of our Team Profile. In it we state that we all
> carry pagers and have a shared number that beeps everyone. [...]
> We turned in our last pager just last week. [...]
> So we've moved our primary contact number
> to that of a cell phone (mine) with text/e-mail messaging. I'll let you
> know how it works (just as soon as someone has need of us).
> Suzanne Anderson
> TROT Search Team manager

Our experience is for a generic "show up in the morning" call-out, using
cellular phones as the primary contact isn't a problem from the volunteer's
standpoint. I defined a contact system based on region. (Our county and
primary response area is about the size of the state of Connecticut.) If
you have a lot of people on a Hasty Team response, or tend to get "come now"
call-outs, tracking down people by phone isn't as effective since the point
of contact is delayed making phone calls to key people instead of the prior
method where key people with pagers got their information from Dispatch. The
cell phone call-out method is also more time consuming for Dispatch, where
they continue to call phone # until they reach a live body instead of just
sending a single page to numerous recipients.

If you end up not satisfied with the cell phone method for your needs and
again consider pagers, take a look at the 2-way messaging devices. Dispatch
can send a group email to all volunteers carrying the units, and all the
call-out info can be in the email. (Time, location, etc.) Recipients can
click an automated reply (yes/no) to Dispatch or email more specific info,
and also communicate using brief text with others in the group so you're not
tying up cell phones with one call after another trying to keep everyone in
the loop. Monthly cost is slightly more than pagers, but the text messaging
functionality allows for personal use and non-emergency communication within
the group for announcements and such.

An "in between" option that may be the most cost effective and still
efficient for volunteers is for all the volunteers to be on the same
wireless phone service and carry a cell phone with incoming text message
capability. Then Dispatch could set up a group email to send a brief text
message to all the personal phone email addresses, and all personnel would
receive the message and contact Dispatch for more info. (Phone text messages
are more limited than 2-way messaging - more like brief alphanumeric pager
messages. ) Also check with your local wireless phone service for putting
all your phones in a "group" which would allow a single voice message to be
delivered to all individuals in that group in their voice mail box. There
may be other cell phone functions that would be beneficial for group use -
but you'd all need to use the same provider. Check with your Sheriff's
department - could be they are using a particular wireless service and there
may be advantages for you to be on the same service. Since the volunteers
will make use of the same cell phone for personal use, the biggest issue may
be for everyone to remember to wear that cell phone like they used to wear
that pager 24/7. ;)

~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare County, CA