msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Bomb proof?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: heather_jones@att.net
  • Cc: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Bomb proof?
  • Date: Wed Dec 11 18:09:00 2002

My two cents, and it’s only my opinion….

I shudder when I hear the term “bomb-proof horse.” I know it’s just an
expression that we use, but I think we need to be very careful with how we
use
it. I work with my animals in partnership. I build their trust of me, and
they
build my trust of them. They know, from their experiences that I would never
put them in critical danger. For this reason, when I ask them to go through
parades, rodeos, over bridges, around dogs, in areas with gunfire, over
tarps,
at night, anything weird, different or unusual, they will do it. Here is my
distinction. To me, “bombproof” means an animal who is so deadened to its
surroundings that nothing surprises it. Nothing scares it. It notices or
reacts
to nothing out of place. It will walk off the cliff with you on its back, and
never blink.

My mule is trained to turn to face a scary thing. Part of that is
instinctual
for a mule, and we have reinforced it through training and practical use. He
lets me know when something is amiss. Because I trust him and don’t force him
forward, he has made me aware of many things I wouldn’t normally notice. This
tactic has saved our bacon on more than one occasion. It also increases my
awareness of my surroundings. I think this is especially important for
search
and rescue. If your animal is so domesticated, conditioned, and bombproofed,
that it either doesn’t notice, or doesn’t care about a fresh scent, or a
child
hiding in the bushes up the hill, or something out of place, then you don’t
have a partner, you have a tool. Transportation. That’s it.

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m all for training that reduces the “IT’S GOING
EAT ME!” turn and run response. I prefer to see my animals stop, turn into
it,
and really see what’s going on. Then we can both make a decision to tackle
it,
or get away. I’m also all for training that teaches the human how to build
trust with their animal. Before I decide if I want to ride with someone, I
watch how they ride and the nature of their relationship with their horse.

Sorry for the soapbox, but this is a term that I’ve seen often over the last
several posts. Are your horses really “bomb proof”, or are they well trained
and aware?