msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Unit Feedback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Unit Feedback
  • Date: Tue Dec 10 15:26:01 2002

From: <heather_jones@att.net>
> Another site, beyond that which has already been discussed, which has been
> helpful for us as we get started is nwhsar.org. This group is actually
located
> where I used to live, and tackles some pretty rugged country.

A good reference - thanks for sharing the URL! I found some good thoughts to
include in our new county SAR standards for the mounted units.

There are personal skills I'd add to their training requirements since the
group does Wilderness MSAR - in particular I don't see reference to basic
technical rescue training, and the equipment list indicates rope but not
caribiners. Nor do I see mandatory GPS training, which is invaluable from a
Wilderness SAR management perspective and very useful in the field. Also not
mentioned is horse and rider training for the horse to drag something
heavy - useful in clearing trails and campsites, and for some rescue
situations where the only stout anchor available may be the horse.

BTW - for Wilderness MSAR I'd recommend an appropriate saddle horn to safely
dally off, good for at least 500 pounds. A roping / working ranch saddle is
a good investment for MSAR. I've always been baffled when I see photos of
MSAR teams with some riders in English saddles, wondering where they'd tie
off ropes, saddlebags, etc. Figured they had to be day search riders in
urban gentle terrain, or something.

Also, consider recommending for rough terrain Wilderness SAR that riders
bring a 2nd reliable horse, if available. (All MSAR horses - or mules! <g> -
should be trained to both pack and ride.) That way there is the option to
pack gear / Stokes, or alternate horses for the first couple of days (useful
if a sudden change to high altitude) and perhaps pack in a groundpounder
with specialized skills that management would like on your team. If tracks
indicate you're on the right trail, it may also be useful to bring a horse
with an empty saddle to potentially provide transport ... or a 2nd packer
with a Stokes if the need is anticipated.

> To Una's response, what we're shooting for is a team of about 20-25 people
max.
> We have seen the disconnects that occur when a group gets too large, and
we
> know the limitations that happen when we're too small. With a group of
this
> size, give or take some, we'd hope to have sufficient ground support, a
hasty
> team, and if needed a secondary team (to back up the hasties, or to pack
in
> gear). Hey, still just thoughts here.

Good thoughts. ;)

We have about 30 riders in our unit - one of 3 mounted units in the county.
In the past we've found this to be a workable size for training and
response, with anything from 6 - 20 riders showing up for a call-out,
depending on weekday/weekend and location. Going forward we'll be doing
joint training with all SAR, and specific MSAR joint training. It'll be
interesting to see how successful that is and how it impacts participation.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare County, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R