msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Unit Feedback

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: heather_jones@att.net
  • To: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • Cc: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Unit Feedback
  • Date: Tue Dec 10 13:50:00 2002

Everyone, I can't begin to thank you enough. The information that we have so
far received from this list has been amazingly helpful. For those of you who
have responded to my post, either to the group or to me directly, many
thanks.

We had our first brainstorming session on Saturday, and it went great. We
have
10 people currently who are interested in participating. Some of these will
likely be ground support, but they're able and interested. We discussed at
length many of your ideas and feedback. You have given us all a lot to think
about. We are going to continue to brainstorm through the holidays and will
meet back up before Stock Show in January.

Another site, beyond that which has already been discussed, which has been
helpful for us as we get started is nwhsar.org. This group is actually
located
where I used to live, and tackles some pretty rugged country. While I haven't
been able to get ahold of anyone there, I have been able to get some good
info
from their site on training, standards, mission statement, etc. Hey, the more
info, the better...that way we can take what we like and don't like, and make
up the best thing for us, and for our area.

To Una's response, what we're shooting for is a team of about 20-25 people
max.
We have seen the disconnects that occur when a group gets too large, and we
know the limitations that happen when we're too small. With a group of this
size, give or take some, we'd hope to have sufficient ground support, a hasty
team, and if needed a secondary team (to back up the hasties, or to pack in
gear). Hey, still just thoughts here.

Jorene, your feedback and info has been invaluable. Keep it coming!

So...anyone want to move out to Colorado and help us?? :)